Quickcam Messenger & Communicate driver for Linux
It's now possible to use the Quickcam Messenger for Linux.
Lots of thanks to Mathias Küster for finding the Bayer init-string!
/Christian Magnusson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Here are some information about the driver:
- Support for Quickcam Messenger (0x046D, 0x08F0) (picture)
- Support for Quickcam Messenger Plus (0x046D, 0x08F6) (picture)
- Support for Quickcam Communicate (0x046D, 0x08F5) (picture)
- 162x124, 162x248, 324x124, 324x248 resolution available
- Auto exposure works (need some tuning though)
- Auto shutter-control works (need some tuning though)
- Read status of the button on the camera
- Compressed format is still unknown
- Driver is compiled and tested with Quickcam Messenger and
- Fedora Core 1 (kernel 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl) and
- Fedora Core 3 (kernel 2.6.9-1.667smp).
- Fedora Core 4 (kernel 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4).
- Fedora Core 6
- Kernel 2.6.15
- Kernel 2.6.18
- Kernel 2.6.19
- Ubunto Feisty, Kernel 2.6.20
Updated! qc-usb-messenger-1.7.tar.gz (2007-09-02) is the source code for the Quickcam Messenger linux-driver.
gspy-0.1.7-messenger.tar.gz is a modified version of gspy-0.1.7. Changes in the picture-format and window-size.
mpeg_encodeWithPNG_1.tar.gz is a mpeg-encoder. (needed by gspy if you want to create a mpeg-movie from all pictures)
There are newer Quickcam Messenger cameras available today, but I don't
have any possibility possibility to buy and try them them without any financial help.
If you want me to add support for them, please make a donation:
Some external links:
Quickcam Express driver.
QC-USB driver from Tuukka Toivonen.
Quickcam Web driver.
Third-party Quickcam software.
Pictures of Quickcam Messenger front, back.
FAQ @ developer.logitech.com
USB snoopy for windows.
SnoopyPro for windows.
Linux USB for windows.
Linux USB device overview for windows.
Programming guide for Linux USB Device drivers.